2017 is almost here and while waiting for Christmas holidays we are more eager to think about everything that has happened. In my case, one thing is for sure: I always evaluate what I have done, what I have achieved, what I should change and what I should continue pursuing. Besides the many positive outcomes during the year, we should definitely put a lot of focus on things that we would want to improve and change, as those changes would lead us to even bigger achievements in the future. From all the experience that I have had in the last period, I have decided to make a summary for you of 5 things we should give up in 2017.
- STOP COMPARING OURSELVES TO OTHERS: If you think about it more carefully, this is not a very easy thing to do. There will always be that someone in your career path that is maybe better than you, or that girl that is with a boy that you like, so the natural thing to think about is always: “Why her/him, and not me?” Well, let me stop you there! We are all human beings with certain qualities and flaws, that embrace our possibilities and work for the better tomorrow. But in all that it is very important to learn that comparing ourselves to what others do is not gonna help us feel better. Take it this way: wouldn’t it be better focusing on how to reach our own goals than on focusing how others are having theirs? The most important benchmark in life we should have is ourselfes! For example, if I compare myself to someone that is doing the same job I do, maybe I would not feel the best about myself, but in that case maybe I am not considering in which stage of career they are. Maybe they are in business for a longer time so of course everything seems much better and easier. If I, on the other side, compare what I have achieved this year with what I have achieved last year at this time, then I realise that I have done a great deal of work and that this year has been very productive and successful! So the point is just to stay focused on what we do, how we do it, mind our own business, work hard, and at the end everything will be as it should!
- LET YOUR PAST AFFECT YOU: We are all going through transitional periods during our twenties so it is normal there are moments of our lives that we maybe wish we have done differently. Me, when I think about a few years back, I sometimes regret that I haven’t started blogging more seriously a bit earlier, but then on the other side, who knows whether Bocconi would have been my current reality. And that is just not an option! The point is, that shouldn’t define me now in my job, it should just give me encouragement that certain decisions can have different outcomes in the present. We shouldn’t regret past, but just work on the present the way it is now and try to make it as better as possible.
- OVERTHINKING: Usually everything that I do I think about it so many times before I do it. I always make a plan, then think about it whether it would work, what would be the outcomes, how it would affect me. But sometimes the best thing is just to go with the flow and do things that make us alive and happy in that particular moment. And to be honest to you, some of those decisions were actually the best ones in my life! For example, when I was deciding which university to choose, Bocconi was first on my mind, but to be honest to you it is not that I though it through that much. I was 19, I was craving for adventure and new experience, and my guts told me that it would be a right thing to do. Now when I think about it, I am not sure I would have done the same thing if I was actually thinking about all the things that were important: I would be living alone in the foreign country, I wouldn’t have any friends at the beginning, I would have to face everything on my own. But at the end, no matter the difficulties, it turned out to be the best decision of my life that brought me so many experiences, either positive and negative that made me the person I am today!
- FEARING CHANGE: This one is actually kind of correlated to the previous point. Changes are something that put us out of our comfort zone. And what happens there? It’s where the magic begins! Jokes aside, this is something I always try to rule out and I will continue doing it in the new year. I am not someone that fears change, but sometimes I think too much of the outcome. But whenever I just put myself out there, it turns out to be the fabulous experience and something that makes me learn new things, embrace my possibilities and set new goals.
- CARE ABOUT OTHERS’ OPINIONS: This is something that affects us all. Society is a strange and powerful thing, and no matter what we do, on some level we always feel the need to be accepted by others and make them like what we say and do. Well, I am so sorry to tell you the truth, but no matter how hard you try, there will always be someone who will judge the way you dress, what you eat, how you think and what you do. The thing to know is that the sooner we stop trying to please everyone, we will be happier with ourselves. At the end of the day, this is what matters the most!
Trackback from your site.